Sunday, July 27, 2008

5 Summer Obsessions

I LOVE summer in New York City. There is no other time of year when there is so much cheap/free stuff (Shakespeare in the Park, Movies @ Bryant Park, Summer Stage, and so on). There is a ton of stuff to do everyday during the summers here, but I often find myself doing the same things because they are so quintessentially summer for me. Here the top 5 summer obsessions that have over run my life...

Movies @ Bryant Park
Monday nights in June, July and August you can see free movies in Bryant Park. The grass opens for picnicking at 5 p.m. and the films begin at sunset, typically between 8 and 9 p.m. A different classic film is shown every Monday, for a complete schedule check out www.bryantpark.org/calendar/film-festival.php



Dinner and Drinks @ La Esquina
This place is definitely fresa heaven, but don't let that detract from the fact that when you're sitting there having an elote callejero and a michelada you feel like god is personally smiling down on you.

La Esquina
106 Kenmare St
New York, NY 10012




Anything @ Shake Shack
People always ask whether the 45 minute to one hour wait is worth is and without doubt it is. The location is great, the shack burgers are amazing, the cheese fries are a godsend and the concretes are one of the best ways to cool down on a hot day after waiting an hour for a burger and fries. Plus it runs on wind power which is totally eco conscious and awesome.

Shake Shack SE Corner of Madison Sq. Park (23rd & Madison)



Brown Bagging a Beer @ Washington Sq. Park
I'm sorry but drinks are too damn expensive in NYC, so I'm a proponent of brown bagging beer. I usually do it right before dinner because I hate going to a cheap restaurant and having an outrageous bill because a friend and I had 2 beers. I'll also do it if I'm going out to a club so I can avoid paying $10 for a Bud Light (which should be illegal since it probably constitutes price gouging, no human being should have to pay $10 for a bud light). So before going out I'll buy a can of Tecate or a bottle of Presidente from the grocer, grab a brown bag and sit down and enjoy a beer and the (NYC) great out doors at Washington Sq. Park.


My all-time summer favorite....

People Watching @ Prince Street in SoHo
Regularly photographed by the Satorialist for GQ and proclaimed by Esquire to be the place where you see the most beautiful women on the planet, Prince Street is the gift that keeps on giving all year round, but is especially kind during the summer months (when people are showing a little ankle with their skinny jeans and vintage Gucci loafers). If you want to see the most beautiful and fashion forward men and women in the world just hang out on the corner of Prince and Broadway for an afternoon. Occasionally, when I'm shopping in the area I'll just look around and be thankful that I live in one of the most attractive cities on the planet.


No comments: